Friday, October 23, 2015

October 21: Echoes of Bitterness

It wasn't the week
you and Mom both passed,
or the moment when
my wife had a stroke.

Dad, it wasn't in the instant
they told me my unborn daughter
didn't last through the fight
for her mother's life.

It wasn't the time when I saw
the destiny of the business
I had given eight years to
was ending in catastrophe.

It wasn't even at that blink in time
where I was told my spouse's life
depended on a procedure
they refused to perform here.

No, the instant I became overwhelmed
was when you said, out of your pain,
Mother left me behind because
I couldn't take care of myself.

That was more than 40 years ago,
and to this day, I still deal
with the reflected waves from being told,
in effect, I wasn't good enough to keep.

Dad, every day that I expect
those who love me to desert me,
I hear the ancient echoes
of your bitterness and pain.

No comments:

Post a Comment