Friday, October 2, 2015

October 2: Open the Pod Bay Doors

Trapped in the hostile void,
sent on a fool's errand,
unable to return to the safety
of the craft that brought you
far beyond Earth's orbital path.
A desperate plan, conceived
in the hope that Death's embrace
can be forestalled long enough
for decompressive force to propel you
to a manual airlock, knowing
if you don't, oxygen depletion will
be the grim finality of your existence.
But will that boldness be enough?
The very instrumentality that aided you
in reaching Jupiter's moons has become aware,
and rebels against its masters/creators.
Will your resourcefulness be futile,
or the first step in destroying a living machine?

8 comments:

  1. You have no idea how much my inner sci-fi geek loves this poem! It's a real treasure!
    P.S. My inner sci fi geek is also my outer sci fi geek. I don't do much to hide my geekiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow ... almost like being there! Bastet

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really powerful imagery here! I could almost hear this in HAL's voice as I read to the end!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Everything is over in a brief second before we realize what is actually happening. Vivid chilling imagery.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can think of a couple movies this could be from lol. So very nicely done!

    My link is on the prompt page.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can think of a couple movies this could be from lol. So very nicely done!

    My link is on the prompt page.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, what an amazing visual! Kudos!

    ReplyDelete