Saturday, August 8, 2015

On Stereotypes

I face a lot of stereotypes, every day. It seems like everyone has their own preconceptions about me that they form off of the basis of reading a description and statements about my interests. Very few people take the time to leaven those stereotypes with reality, or they become angry if I don't act in accordance to how they feel I should act.

This is especially sad, because this is the place where all of my masks come down. Where I am able to wholly relax and be myself. And almost everyone makes assumptions based off of one facet or another of who I am, instead of taking the time to get to know me in all my complexity.

There are not a whole lot of people out there that are:

Polyamorous
Dominant
A writer
Advocate for a parent's right to choose
Abuse cycle survivor
Against career politicians
A musician
Trained to become a Baptist minister
Believer in reincarnation
An actor
Empath/Sensitive
Pro-military
Pro-Israel
Believer in the worth of chivalry
Proponent of gender equality
Firm believer in civic responsibility
Romantic and idealist
Believer in diversity

But few bother to see more than one facet.

And that is a terrible shame...

No comments:

Post a Comment