Saturday, April 15, 2017

Improvisational Harmonies - Sneak Peek #4

Come and Save Me Tonight


One of the recurring themes in my writing is the redemptive power of love. For it has the power to save us – from life's sorrows, from the consequences of misdeeds, even from our own inner damnation.

It is no surprise that the power ballads of the late '80s and early '90s hold a special place in my heart. For a few years, love songs became in-vogue for the previously asskicking-, sex- and decadence-obsessed hard rock and metal bands, as they sought to spin off into a much greater audience by showing their more sensitive side.

True, the corporate formula of rock song, power ballad, rock song, power ballad became predictable, and an oft-derided component of the hair band era. The recording houses saw that there was a large, undersold-to audience that ate up the power ballads like candy. Correspondingly, every band, new or old, in the scene, had to record them to sell albums.

It was only a matter of time before the market became oversaturated, and the backlash against the record studios began. And that spelled the doom of the hair band.

Fortunately, Aerosmith recorded a few gems during this era – including a song about how the love of a good woman could even save a raunchy old rocker like Steven Tyler.

Of course, I was inspired by it. What self-respecting reformed buttrocker wouldn't have been?


Angel


Drowning,
in my tears,
that's where
you found me.
Without hesitation
you dove in
after me.
I was lost
without a prayer
until that fateful moment
you intervened.
Now,
you're my Angel.
Come and save me
tonight.


Inspired by “Angel” by Aerosmith

(c) Tortured Cyclone 2015, 2017

No comments:

Post a Comment