Friday, April 7, 2017

Improvisational Harmonies - Sneak Peek #3

The Romantic's Dream:
The Rose and a Poet's Genesis


For my money, the poignant yearning for love in Bette Midler's voice when she sings “The Rose” is one of the most powerful musical moments in '70s movies. It serves as a counterpoint to the tragic story of the rock star she plays in the film, loosely based on the life of Janis Joplin.

It is a powerful statement of how a larger-than-life figure like a rock star, can feel so isolated and alone, in the middle of their superstardom. As a young singer, of course I added the song to my repertoire as a teenager, and adopted its emotional message as my own. As I grew older, the song's message became a mantra, even as I abandoned the performing arts in the name of subsistence.

It came as no surprise to me that the song eventually inspired my poetry, once I began writing more and more. What did come as a surprise was the desire to attempt writing a new verse for this ballad – having the temerity to put my writing alongside the heart-rending simplicity of Amanda McBroom's original song.

It is up to you to judge how well I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment